As the American population ages and requires more care, nursing homes have become big business across the United States, and within New York State. While the elderly population that resides in nursing homes very often requires skilled care to prevent injury and infection, they do not always receive it. We hope that when we choose a nursing home for our loved ones. that they will be cared for and kept safe. However, this is not always what occurs in nursing homes.
SIGNS OF ABUSE TO LOOK FOR:
- Untimely or unexplained death
- Infected bedsores or pressure ulcers
- Unexpected falls
- Unexplained injuries such as broken bones, sprains, head injuries, bruises, burns, cuts or abrasions
- Medication errors
- Weight loss
- Emotional or social behavior changes
- Smells or odors to suggest a failure to bathe the resident
WHAT TO DO IF YOU EXPECT A LOVED ONE IS A VICTIM
If you suspect that your loved one is being abused or not receiving the care that they need, please contact me to discuss your loved one's situation. The elderly have rights and when the negligence of a facility such as a nursing home results in their injury, The Law Office of Christopher S. Germaine can help.